Youth to Youth (Y2Y) is a youth-led, adult-guided organization. Y2Y International was founded in 1982 in Columbus, Ohio, as a community-based drug prevention and youth leadership program focusing primarily on middle school and high school students. The goal of its many projects is harnessing the powerful influence of peer pressure-- making it a positive force that encourages young people to live free of tobacco, alcohol and other drugs. They also provide positive alternative drug-and-alcohol-free events led by youth. In this spirit, South Dakota has sent youth to the National and International Youth to Youth Conferences and had local conferences for over 10 years. Over 100 teens attended the conference each year. As of the 2012-13 school year, ASAP is no longer able to continue the Y2Y conferences.
- To educate young people concerning the physical and psychological effects of tobacco, alcohol and other drugs.
- To empower young people to take a lead in developing prevention programs in their schools and communities.
- To develop skills necessary to make healthy life choices.
- To train youth to be capable leaders who have a powerful, positive influence on their peers.
- To expose young people to current community issues such as violence prevention, conflict resolution and other.
- To provide youth with multicultural and socioeconomic perspective in tobacco, alcohol and other drug use prevention.