What are the immediate benefits of quitting smoking and/or chewing?
- Hair, clothing, and breath will not smell.
- You will have money for things other than cigarettes/smokeless tobacco.
- Your complexion will improve.
- You will not have to leave restaurants, parties, and people’s houses to smoke.
- Within 20 minutes, your blood pressure and pulse rate return to normal.
- In 24 hours, your risk of heart attack starts to drop.
- In two days, your senses of smell and taste improve.
- In three days, breathing gets easier and lung capacity increases.
- Within two weeks to three months, your circulation gets better.
- Within one to nine months, coughing, sinus problems, and shortness of breath decrease, and you have more energy.
Tips to help you stop smoking
- Set a date to quit
- Remove cigarettes, ashtrays matches, and lighters from your home, purse, and car
- Keep a supply of low calorie snacks handy
- Spend more time around people who do not smoke
- Tell everyone you are going to stop smoking
- Plan what you will do instead of smoking
For more information on quitting smoking, visit www.healthysd.gov.